Friday, February 17, 2012

But it DOES feel like February 17th

Friday mornings are my favorite morning of the week. Clearly. It's FRIDAY. We all know what that means. HOWEVER, I also enjoy Friday's because it is the one day of the school week that Darin and I start our day together, which includes walking to campus together (yay!).

This morning while speed walking past the testing center as I always do, Darin turned to me and said something to the effect of: "Is it really February 17th? It doesn't feel like we should be half way through February yet. Time goes by so fast"....yahtey yah...

My mind began to swirl as the world around me stopped. I began seeing blurry faces of people who would quickly speak and then zoom away as another appeared.

"Wow. This month has gone by so fast. I can't believe it's already      insert date     ."
"My son turns 2 tomorrow. I can't believe how fast these first 2 years went by."
"It's already the      insert date   ?! Time is flying."
"It's the     insert date    ? This semester has gone by so fast!"

Then the blurry faces began responding:

"Yeah, crazy, this month has gone by so fast."
"I know! It seems like just yesterday that he was born."
"For real! I mean...wow."
"This semester is flying. Soon enough we'll be taking finals!"

As I snapped back into reality I turned to Darin and said something to the effect of: "You know what. It really IS February the 17th and it really DOES feel like it should be February 17th"... yahty yah...
Surely if I had been with someone from church or a classmate or nearly anyone but my husband I would have chimed in with the usual: "I know right!" But you know what, it really does feel like February 17th to me. Why shouldn't it? Christmas feels far enough away, the end of the semester feels about 2 months away. Time feels exactly right in my book (at least today it does).

Sometimes I think we fall into habits of saying certain things when we talk about a certain topic. When someone says the date, some of the above examples are what some of us tend to say. But why? Are we really thinking about what we're saying? Does it really NOT feel like the date we are currently living through? What does that even mean?

You see, I'm working on enjoying the moment. I'm always thinking about the past and looking to the future. Gotta enjoy the now, and that includes today:

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying NOW is mucho important. Glad you understand that at a young age.

    Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete