Tuesday, June 30, 2015

All the Small Things

There's so many little things that happen each day. Things that seem so ordinary. Yet some of my favorite things to read about in my old journals is just that, the ordinary every day things. The big fun vacations and outings are obviously fun to remember as well, but those things easily have a place in my long-term memory. It's the ordinary things that I forget and once I forget them, they're gone. I want to remember those everyday things more.

Like waking up next to these two.


Like late night game nights with the Meldrums where the kids get some ipad time together before bed.


Like that phase after Belén was born where Shae always wanted to be held everywhere, just like his sister.  Where he would climb into her car seat and act like a baby because the poor kid was starving for some extra attention of his own.


Like Belén eating Shae's head.


Like late night poopy diaper changes (or nap time) for this little kiddo who just couldn't muster up the courage to get it out in the potty before bed. (Although in the past two weeks he's almost got it down! Bribing him with otter pops has really done the trick).


Like Shae reading stories to me while I nurse Belén. 
(Or climbing all over me, that one was harder to get a picture of).


Like sleepy baby smiles in the middle of church.


Like how lucky these kids are to have Aunt Anna around (actually this one is really for me to remember how lucky I am to have her around. She has been such a big help).



Like Shae wanting to lay down wherever Belén is, or have her put down next to him wherever he is.


Like watermelons and hot outdoors water activities.


Like living in such a great historic place where we can take an afternoon stroll and see Minute Men coming down the street playing their drums. 



Like how going to the grocery store with Shae used to be a nightmare, but now going with him is so sweet. (Because going with one kid is SO much better than two and because he likes to tap his chin and say, "We neeeeeeeeddd...salt!  We neeeeeeddd...apples!" while I shop.


Like that one time we went to the beach and I didn't bring Shae any clothes to change into so he rode home in his birthday suit.


Like that one time Shae was cranky and sick (or teething?) and woke up super early and wouldn't go back to sleep but then I came downstairs to this.


Sometimes the little things can be so hard to appreciate. The hot and tired son who won't get in his car seat because he wants to sit in his sisters. The not fully potty trained but almost potty trained stage. The baby that takes over my bed in the morning. The feeling like an unprepared mama when everyone has clothes for their kids to change in to so they don't ride home wet...or naked. The early wake up call...that later turns in to precious cuddle time with daddy. But those are the things that the good life is made up of. Those every day moments and decisions that we make that turn life into such an awesome experience. 

There's so many little things. It's impossible to remember them all, but I hope to be able to record at least a few of them every so often because these small itty bitty seemingly meaningless moments will some day turn into precious memories for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment