Monday, March 10, 2014

La Casa del Señor

Some things have been on my mind as of late.

1. We went to the sealing of the beautiful Flores family last weekend. I had never been to a family sealing before and it was so special. They were sealed in the same room that Darin and I were sealed in which made it extra special. Watching them be sealed together as a family for time and all eternity, reflecting upon our sealing...both reminded me how blessed I am to be married to Darin and how much I love our marriage.

Last night, right around 10pm Darin did the usual quick look at the clock, jump up to go brush his teeth and kneel down to pray before hopping into bed. I really never like this time of night because whatever we were doing or talking about seems to end so abruptly. I told Darin that I feel like the clock owns a third of our relationship. I really admire Darin for his strict discipline when it comes to being responsible with time and a schedule. I feel bad because I've slightly ruined his ability to be fully disciplined in this regard because, well, let's face it, I like to talk at night. But really, the reason I like to talk so much at night is because I don't like my time with him to end. Saying goodnight means that the morning will soon be coming and that Darin will be leaving me. ALL. DAY. I sound like a pathetic, hopeless romantic right now but it's embarrassingly true. We could have talked for hours before 10pm but I always seem to have more to say anyways, and that's the reason why (...because I'm clingy and crazy-in-love and attached and think to much about bedtime being such a long goodbye until he gets home from work the next day...crrraazzzyy, I know).

I'm really thankful that we were sealed in the temple. Can you imagine how much more talkative and clingy I would be if I knew that we wouldn't be together For-EVER? 


2. At church on Sunday our Sunday School teacher said something that really stood out to me. She said, "I am SO thankful that we have a temple so very close." The Washington D.C. temple is 2.5 hours away (without traffic). Coming from Utah, I have NEVER considered that to be close. I want to change my attitude about the distance to the temple and never let that be a deciding factor in whether or not we should go. We really are blessed to have a temple SO close. It's an 8 or 9 hour day trip, opposed to so many other people who have to travel days to get to a temple. I really am thankful that the temple is so close.


3. Our Stake President is in our branch. I work with his daughter in Young Women's. This family is incredible. I have learned so much from them. They have a goal to make it to the temple once a month. The end of January came and apparently they had not made it up to D.C. yet (they have five kids under 17 and are busy busy busy). Their daughter told me at the end of Young Womens on the last Sunday of the month that they were going up to the temple after church and that she could read the talk I had passed out while there. I was so impressed by their example. We end church at 3:30pm. The temple isn't even open on Sunday but they had set a goal to be at the temple and they were going to accomplish it. So they drove to the temple after church, spent some time as a family on the temple grounds and drove home late into the evening. Wow.

4. I've been reading in Alma 5 for a few days now. It's taking me awhile to get through it because each and every verse is so mind-blowingly good that I have to stop and think about it and soak it all in before moving on to more. A lot of the questions that Alma poses made me think about our temple covenants and how the temple helps us become the people that God wants us to be:

Have ye spiritually been born of God? 
Have ye received his image in your countenances? 
Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?
Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created you?
Do you look forward with an eye of faith...?
Can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?
Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blamelss before God?
Could ye say if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? 
Are ye stripped of pride?

5. The youth lesson theme for the month is The Atonement. The theme for the year is Come Unto Christ. I am enjoying both themes immensely and feel so blessed to work with two amazing young women who have taught me so much about what it means to live a Christ-like life. 

I want to take more time each day to think about the Savior, to apply his atonement to my life each and every day. 

Anyways, those are just some things that have been on my mind....


No comments:

Post a Comment