Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Turkey Trot etc.

I gained 60 pounds during both my pregnancies. SIXTY. Needless to say, that weight has not been the easiest to shed. With both kids, I hit a zone between 150-160 lbs where I just felt stuck. I weighed 153 when we got back from our summer away. I had been working out pretty regularly, but my diet was all over the place (sort of happens when you spend 4 days straight in a car, and just when you're away from home in general).

As soon as we got home I set a goal, I wanted to weigh 145 by November 15th. On August 22nd I started using My Fitness Pal to keep track of the calories I was eating. Two weeks later I started using BBG (Bikini Body Girl workouts by Kayla Itstines). While I may not be going for a BIKINI body per say, I will say, I have LOVED this workout program. I just finished the 12 week program last week and have been feeling so proud of myself. First of all, I actually stuck to an exercise program for the first time in, ever (even while on vacation!) Second, it is such a fun program and even though I feel like death while I'm doing it, I always feel so good when I'm done. 

And while I only ended up using My Fitness Pal consistently for the first month, it really opened my eyes to what and how much I was eating which helped me make some lifestyle changes (that may or may not have been thrown out the window last week with all these Christmas parties going on...)

So my goal was for Nov 15th, I took the below picture on November 22nd. 


A week late, but I hit my goal weight! And I could not be happier. I weighed 147 when I got pregnant with BelĂ©n and 143 with Shae. I'd love to get down a few more pounds to where I was with him, but I'm sure that will take some time because #holidays. Oh those holidays goodies. I just can't say no. And I'm okay with that! I'm just in a good place right now and I feel strong and (mostly) healthy.  After struggling with weight and body image issues just about my entire life, I'm feeling really good right now. 

Thanksgiving morning Darin and I went down to Carlisle to run in the Turkey Trot. I thought I might be running it by myself this year because Darin's ankle looks like it is going to be messed up for life, but he loves me enough to sacrifice his ankle and said he would do it with me. I kept telling him just to walk it, but of course he didn't listen and after not running for a year and a half, he ran the whole thing! Wha???? I was pretty shocked, especially because my competitive side was so sure I would beat him :). Darin ran it in 26:54 and I came in at 28:12--which again, was huge for me. While I feel more in shape than I've been in a long time, running has never been my strong suit. I really really wanted to run in less than 30 minutes since the other two we ran were both over (granted, one of them I was 6 months pregnant and peeing my pants the whole way). I was so excited when I saw that I made it in under 30 minutes! And also kind of felt like I was going to puke, because, like I said, not a runner (and I started my final sprint a little--a lot--too soon). 




This is such a fun run and I hope we get to keep doing it. After running, I tend to start thinking, I could do a 10k, yeah, I could totally do that, then I remember that that is over 6 miles, SIX! Man, that is a lot of miles. I have never even ran close to that many miles in my life. How are there people who run half marathons and marathons!? Ya'll are crazy! (And awesome). Who knows, maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try it.

For now, I'll stick to my couple of mile runs and my BBG with my baby girl trying to copy everything I do.



Loving my body has been a roller coaster ride my entire life. It has been a learning process, and continues to be so. This quote that I've seen on a few blogs recently has really stuck with me. I'm not sure who originally said it, but I found it on Kayla Itstines instagram...

"Your diet, exercise routine and stress level lay the foundation for how you feel, so fuel your body with good nutrition, break a little sweat each day, and set aside time to unwind. Because it’s hard to feel bad about a body you’re taking great care of."

(And you guys, that is different for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US! I just got back from book club where I ate 2 pieces of delicious baklava and some chocolates...and life goes on! No need to beat ourselves up for little things. Our bodies are incredible and deserve a little sweat and love, but if we like cookies, there's nothing wrong with that either--at least that's what I keep telling myself... :).

2 comments:

  1. Brillante! I love this post! You look great - so happy that you are happy. That's great timing on the Turkey Run. Also, love the ending. Loving one's body is so hard, but (at least I've found) that balance is the key! So, enjoy those cookies and enjoy exercising! Hope you all are well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! we miss you guys! I will have to check out BBG. I have been doing Bikini Body Mama workouts but hadn't heard of the other. Hope you have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete