Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bumblebees and Skateboards

One of my good friends is having a baby. What a great excuse to cross off "making a baby quilt" from my bucket list. I went back and forth for months about whether or not I should take on such an endeavor (just for the record, I grew up fighting my mother anytime she tried to teach me anything about a sewing machine, I hated going into fabric stores and never once opened the sewing books I would get for my birthdays. I'm a terrible daughter). Just kidding, I'm NOT a terrible daughter because GUESS WHAT?! I made my first quilt! I am becoming a real woman! Can you tell I'm proud? You have no idea. I really struggled when I stuck this little guy in a box and sent him off to Iowa. We went through a lot together.

I am sooo thankful for my wonderful mother for leading me through this project. If it weren't for her, "making a baby quilt" would still be on my bucket list.



Unfortunately the time in PA flew by and all we got done was the top. So my mother packed me up and sent me off with instructions on how to finish the quilt. I was pretty scared out of my mind and put it off as long as I could, BUT, I am proud to say that many crooked lines around the quilt later, it's done!




I won't lie, I did almost give up quite a few times but am thankful for my darling husband for encouraging me and even helping me with the sewing machine when I was about to throw the whole project out the window. And thanks to him for the lovely picture of one of my tantrums below. He's so thoughtful.


Yay! Loving the finished product and what was that? Already wanting to go buy fabric for the next one???? 


All I have to say is that I have A LOT more respect for my mother and mother-in-law for their love of quilting and especially for the quilts that they have made for us (and not baby quilts mind you!). I give you my complete respect. You two are awesome.

Stay tuned for future baby quilts! (but no promises) Until then....

Wishing little baby Johnson many happy nights!!!

2 comments:

  1. The quilt is absolutely awesome! Michael and I loved it as soon as we got the package. I was so impressed! I could never make a quilt like that. I really cannot sew straight, so the fact that you were able to piece everything together and have it look so straight and clean kind of amazed me, haha! Thanks Brillante!

    ReplyDelete