Sunday, December 17, 2017

Self Thanksgiving 2017

We enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving at my parents house. The food and company were perfect.

Shae just loves cooking anything and everything with me and I kind of love it too. Here he is helping me with the Caramel Chocolate Pecan Pie (aka Rolo pie). This pie was out of this world good. Definitely one I will be making again and easily my favorite of the day.
 BelĂ©n got to help with the Apple Crumble Pie which was just meh. Didn't love it.
 She took her job of stabbing the apples with the corn skewers seriously. Cooking with a two year old sure is exciting. 
 While the food was cooking the kids went out to help my dad rake the leaves, rather, jump in them.






 I loved seeing them carry around their rakes, following him and his leaves wherever he went.
 Shae made sure to tell me that I needed to yell loud to get them from outside when Santa came on the parade.
 We chose not to do the Turkey Trot this year to save some money and while I love doing it, it was fun to just relax on the mattress in the living room with the kids watching the parade in between food prep and leaf jumping.
 The only food picture I took was of the desserts. Of course. 
Chocolate Salted Caramel Pie, Pumpkin Dump Cake, Apple Crumble Pie, Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie (it looks so simple but seriously guys, it was amazing).
 The next day was an interesting one. Grandma and Shae worked on getting a tree put up on the inside of the house, while Darin and my Dad worked on taking a tree down outside the house. My mom was so sweet and patient as Shae put garland all over and ornaments stacked on ornaments. She let him work his magic and he ate it up.



Sadly, our trip ended on a low with the outside tree coming down in the wrong direction, taking out a power line with it. The electricity went out, which caused a power surge frying quite a few appliances, including the fridge, the microwave, and oven. The water pump was also out, but thankfully my parents have a great supply of water we were able to use. We went home on Saturday, but felt so bad leaving my parents in this situation. We were grateful that no one was hurt and for all the love and support that has been shown to my family since.  So, other than that...we had quite a lovely Thanksgiving and are excited to go back down in a few days to celebrate a mini-Christmas together before the actual day.

No comments:

Post a Comment