Monday, January 6, 2020

Books Read in 2019

It was so easy for me to put together a top ten list of books read in 2018. Last year was a really good reading year for me. While I read quite a few good books this past year, not many seemed to fit the "top" book category.

Sadly, and strangely, I went through a first trimester stage of total book aversion. I didn't want to read anything, or even listen to anything. I started 3 audiobooks during that time and never got through any of them. September-November was a pretty bleak time for me in the reading department--even reading with the kids! (Honestly, reading out loud just made me so nauseous). I've finally gotten back into a reading groove this past month and it has been so nice. 

Here's a list of the 44 books that I read in 2019. 

Top Books that I Read in 2019:

Front Desk, Kelly Yang 
(Middle Grade book that I will definitely read again with the kids in a few years. I think about this book all the time).

Becoming, Michelle Obama 
(Waited MONTHS to get the audiobook through Overdrive, but it was worth it. I loved all the insights into what it was like living in the White House. It was also so fascinating to learn about President Obama through the life of his wife. I loved hearing about all of her own professional successes, but also all of her tender thoughts/feelings about her children/family).

A Place for Us, Fatima Mirza
(I found myself in so many different relationships in this book, as a mother, a sister, a daughter, a wife. I really enjoyed that the story follows an Indian-American Muslim family, which was really insightful after living in Indonesia).

Before We Were Yours, Lisa Wingate
(Cannot believe this one was based off of a real life orphanage scandal. So heart-wrenching, but such a fascinating read).

The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah 
(I am not one to sit and read for hours at a time, but this book had me captivated. Probably the first time in my life that I've sat and read a book for 3 hours straight so that I could finish it--probably other than Harry Potter as a teenager).


All the Other Books I Read:

A Fall of Marigolds, Susan Meissner

Secrets of a Charmed Life, Susan Meissner

Year of No Sugar, Eve Schaub

Siblings Without Rivalry, Adele Fabner

The Crucible of Doubt: Reflections on the Quest for Faith, Terryl Givens

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Mildred Taylor

On the Come Up, Angie Thomas

How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids, Jancee Dunn 
(Gotta love that title--this one really had a lot of golden marriage nuggets to hold on to)

To Night Owl From Dogfish, Holly Sloan

Me Before You, Jojo Moyes

Come As You Are: The Surprising New Science That Will Transform Your Sex Life, Emily Nagoski

I've Got Your Number, Sophie Kinsella

Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens 
(This one has been getting SO. MUCH. HYPE. this past year, but it just did not live up to the hype for me. It was a good read, but I expected more from it after all the reviews). 

Orphan Island, Laurel Snyder

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions, Chimamanda Adichie

This Is Me: Loving the Person You Are Today, Chrissy Metz

The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls

Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works, Evelyn Tribole  
(I thought about putting this on the "top" book list, but as a book, it's a little stale. With that said, the ideas that are presented in it spoke to me in so many different ways, and for that reason, I really love it). 

Dark Matter, Blake Crouch

Teaching Your Children Values, Linda Eyre
(This book has really impacted our family. Darin and I both read it throughout the year, choosing a different value to focus on each month as a family. We are excited to continue doing it this coming year).


Read Alouds with the Kids

The Chocolate Touch, Patrick Skene Catling  
(This Midas inspired book about a little boy turning everything to chocolate that his lips touch was all fun and games when it was just his toothpaste, but then his mom turns to Chocolate and poor Shae LOST IT. Even with the happy ending, Shae was not a fan)

Poppy, Avi

Mr. Popper's Penguins, Richard Atwater

The Baltimore Bandit, David Kelly

Ramona and Her Father, Beverly Cleary

Mitch and Amy, Beverly Cleary

Fantastic Mr. Fox, Roald Dahl

Summer of the Monkeys, Wilson Rawls

Fairest of All, Sarah Mlynowski

If the Shoe Fits, Sarah Mlynowski

Spill the Beans, Sarah Mlynowski

Lawn Mower Magic, Lynne Jonell

Hamster Magic, Lynne Jonell

Half Magic, Edward Eager

Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries), Ron Roy

Toys Go Out, Emily Jenkins

Toy Dance Party, Emily Jenkins

Rise of the Earth Dragon, Tracey West

The Wild Robot, Peter Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment