Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Books Read in 2018

Considering that a few years back I maybe read one book a year, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself this year for having read 52 books. And when I say "read", I should clarify that about half of these books I  listened to in audiobook format, which is really what makes "reading" this many books possible. Thank you Overdrive.

Here's a list of all the books that I read in 2018:

My Top 10:
The Great Alone, Kristin Hannah
Small Great Things, Jodi Picoult
Refugee, Alan Gratz
The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
The Read Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with your Kids, Sarah Mackenzie
Educated, Tara Westover
Salt to the Sea, Ruta Sepetys
I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives, Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda
Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction: Derek Thompson
The BFG, Roald Dahl-- This was definitely my favorite read aloud with Shae this past year. It made us both giggle so much (talking about repulsant snozzecumbers, schnozzles, and telly-telly bunkum boxes).

Middle Grade Books that I would love to read again someday with my kids:
Harbor Me, Jacqueline Woodson
Ella Enchanted, Gail Levain
Number the Stars, Lois Lowry

Books read aloud to Shae (Belen would sometimes listen for a little while too, but she never stuck around too long, except for the Tom Percival Little Legend books, she did like those :)
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Barbara Robinson
The Genie's Curse, Tom Percival
The Great Troll Rescue, Tom Percival
The Spell Thief, Tom Percival
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog, John Erickson
Ribsy, Beverly Cleary
Beezus and Ramona, Beverly Cleary 
Ramona the Pest, Beverly Cleary
A True Home, Kallie George
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White
The Mouse and the Motercycle, Beverly Cleary
Frindle, Andrew Clement
The Boxcar Children, Gertrude Chandler Warner
**This list does not include a ton of other shorter chapter books that we read, like a ton of Magic Tree House books, Pokemon chapter books, and other early reader chapter books that could be read in a day or two.

And here's all the other books. While these didn't make my top 10 list, and I am not likely to read any of them again, I really liked just about all of them. Feeling pretty happy about my 2018 book selections. 
Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My Lady Jane, Cynthia Hand
My Plain Jane, Cynthia Hand
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and a Culture in Crisis, J.D. Vance
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, Michael Moss
The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen
Saint Anything, Sarah Dessen
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Saenz
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor
Days of Blood and Starlight, Laini Taylor 
Strange the Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Bad Feminist, Roxane Gay
The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
The Good News About Bad Behavior: Why Kids Are Less Disciplined Than Ever--And What To Do About It, Katherine Lewis
As Bright As Heaven, Susan Meissner
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, Bryan Stevenson
P.S. I Still Love You, Jenny Han
Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More Than We Think, Brian Wansink
The Bright Hour: A Memoir of Living and Dying, Nina Riggs
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, Sheryl Sandberg
The Crossover, Alexander Kwame
Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom
The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact, Chip Heath
A Wrinkle In Time, L'Engle Madeleine
Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America, Firoozeh Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment