Tuesday, March 27, 2018

School Happenings

Shae's preschool is unique in that it is part of a vocational school program for high school students. There are about 8 high school students in his classroom, which means that the adult/teenager to student ratio is great, which Shae clearly loves. Being part of the vocational school means that they get to go on a lot of on campus "field trips." They have gone to the culinary school to make cookies, the vet school to feed animals, the engineer school to play with robots, etc. Last month they got to go to the cosmetology school and Belén and I were invited to join in which was so exciting for her (she was heaven).

They got their nails done. (Complete with a pre-painting hand massage).





 Belén got her hair braided.

 They played with mannequins. 
 Getting her nails painted after her hair was done. (I was so impressed that they could braid her hair! It is so wispy and thin and curly and I just never know what to do with it. The braids didn't last long as the little hairs poofed out, but so cute while it lasted!)

 Belén: I take this one home, okay?

 Working on some fake fingernails to bring home. (Look at those cute braids! If only I could recreate it).

Shae's teachers are so sweet and have let Belén stay a few times now and she just loves it so much (as do I, clearly, as I get some kid free time :). 

Here's a couple picture from our co-op Toddler School. But first, can I just say how much I love doing these little co-ops? I know that co-ops aren't everyone's cup of tea, but it just fits perfectly with my personality. I'm definitely not meant to be a full time teacher, that is for special people like my incredible mother-in-law. Not just anyone has that sort of a gift--to command a classroom full of little ones day after day after day. That is a lot. Not one of my gifts. I admire those amazing teachers and the gift they have to work with little ones so much. However, I do love getting a taste of the more structured teaching world through these co-ops. I love seeing my kids, and their friends learn and play and sing and do crafts and imagine together in a different way than your everyday play date. I love using some of my own creativity as I come up with little activities and lessons for us to do. I also love that I only have to do it a day or two a month :). 

These kids sure are great. This was our last day with our sweet friend Peter who moved away last month.


 Painting rainbows on our Rs with our new little friend who we welcomed in to Toddler School last month. Belén is so excited to have another girl in the group. 
I wish I were better at doing more structured teaching at home when it's just me and the kids. It's kind of sporadic when it happens, and usually because the kids ask for it, like, "Mom, can we do a Science Experiment?" or "Can we work on some flash cards?" (Kids and their craving to learn just amaze me, and terrify me at the same time if we're being completely honest--cue that mom guilt of I'm not doing enough to satisfy that craving). When they do ask for it, I try to deliver. One Sunday afternoon Shae wanted to do some science, so we got out some baking soda, vinegar, food coloring, and play dough equipment and made up some different experiments. It was so easy and so fun and made me wonder, why don't we do this more?!



No comments:

Post a Comment