Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A Wreck-It Ralph 5th Birthday

Shae has been dreaming of his Wreck-It Ralph 5th birthday for months. We randomly grabbed this Ultimate Disney Party Book at the library about six months ago. I thought it was a story book of Disney character birthdays when it was actually a party theme book. The kids poured over this book for hours planning their birthdays that, at the time, were so far away. We only ended up using two ideas from the book and then made up the rest, but I think it turned out quite well if I do say so myself.

What I really loved about this party is how Shae and I planned it together and worked together to make everything for it. We started with the gold HERO medals. Instead of writing HERO on them, we chose to write the kids names.
 He really wanted a pinata at this party. I was not willing to spend money on buying one, and couldn't come up with a good paper-mache Wreck-It Ralph idea that wouldn't drive me to my grave trying to make, so we went with this simple shoe box building idea. We filled it with discounted Christmas candy that we'd been saving specifically for this purpose and then threw some construction paper and mod podge on there and called it good.
 Darin printed off a Fix-It Felix and Ralph for us to paste on for the final touch. Nothing fancy, but I think it was all the same to the kids and super easy for me. Win win.

We started the party with some Wreck-It Ralph coloring pages that kids could work on as they arrived. We then read two Wreck-It Ralph books. 

 We were hoping to play a Pin the Wrench on the Fix-It Felix game that was in the party book, but when I took it to Staples to blow up, they said that they couldn't because of the book's copyright. Which makes sense, but was annoying as well since the book specifically says to make a photocopy and blow it up. So instead we made up some "wrecking" games. Like throwing bean bags at a tower of plastic cups.

 The cheering section.
 Then we played a coin toss game.

The HERO badge pizza was one of the ideas that we took from the book that Shae was really excited about. Although, I was kindly informed that my pepperoni star did not look like a star. Child honesty at its finest. 
  After eating pizza we made Sugar Rush candy cars. We gave each of the kids a brownie base, a bag of frosting, and a bowl of candy. I was so impressed with their creativity! The cars looked great!

 Shae's car.
  Shae never eats cake at his or anyone else's birthday parties. He is an ice cream lover all the way, so we decided to go with an ice cream cake this year. He chose chocolate and mint chocolate chip ice cream with a sugar cone crust. He helped me throw it together (easiest cake to make) and I used a bit of the extra car frosting to decorate it a little before we ate. For the first time in his life, he ate his entire piece of birthday cake.

 We ended the party with the pinata! Which lasted on the rope for all the kids to hit it twice and then they just went to work whacking it on the ground.

It was such a fun party. I loved seeing how excited Shae was to be with his friends and celebrate his special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment